Yoga is well known for helping you be mindful, reduce anxiety, and aid with flexibility and toning of your body. However, there are other lifestyle benefits of yoga that improve your quality of life, especially if you practice yoga movements as a routine before bedtime.
Creating a bedtime routine through yoga movements also provides daily structure where your body knows when it is time to wind down and your mind knows when to turn off. The benefits are endless!
Not convinced? You will be after you check out these three reasons for trying out some yoga poses right before your bedtime.
- You Will Enjoy Deeper Sleep
One of the most important personal investments you can make is in your sleep. The quality of your sleep largely determines the quality of your daily life, including your emotional, psychological, and physical well-being.
A regular yoga routine helps you sleep so your body can replenish and restore itself, improving the quality of your waking and sleeping life. Reduce the likelihood of rumination, racing thoughts, and worrying about the day ahead of you, which all cause sleep disturbance.
Use a bedtime routine informed by yoga poses and principles to help begin your relaxation process well before the time you are trying to fall asleep.
- Soothe tension, aches, and pains
Another great benefit to nighttime yoga is the reduction of pain and discomfort that can cause a lack of sleep. Yoga also effectively reduces symptoms of osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, carpal tunnel syndrome, and fibromyalgia. Stretching out before bed helps resolve stiffness of joints resulting from injuries or wear and tear over time. Releasing tension built up from a long day at work is key to the replenishment and restoration of your body.
For people with joint pain and other issues related to tension and sensitivity, yoga serves as a less strenuous form of exercise. Use yoga to help improve the flow of energy throughout your body, promoting happiness and quality of life.
- Improves physical well-being
There are many physical health benefits to be noted from practicing yoga. Yoga helps you regulate body weight, improves circulation and cardiovascular health, and improves vitality.
- Regulates weight gain. As relates to body weight, there is a strong connection in research between sleep deprivation and gaining weight, including obesity. You can use yoga to achieve better sleep, which in turn prevents otherwise unnecessary weight gain. Aside from sleep, yoga helps you burn calories too.
- Improves circulation and cardiovascular health. Through improving sleep, yoga assists and helps you maintain a healthy heart circulation, sometimes caused by diabetes, heart problems, arterial issues, obesity, and chronic stress.
- Improves vitality. If you are wiped out at the end of the day and feel exhausted, a nighttime yoga routine might be right for you. Such an energy depletion can lead to a host of physical and psychological problems. Breath awareness promoted in yoga helps remove energy blockages, stimulate your muscles, and promotes endurance.
So the benefits are many of a yoga nightly routine, which impact every area of your life. Try it out every night for a couple weeks and see how it forms a routine that improves both your sleeping and waking life.